As part of TechInsights’ charitable focus supporting mental health and family-based initiatives we are proud to announce our involvement with United Way’s STEM Learning program. In partnership we have a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) Learning Club aimed at high school aged youth (grades 9-12) who reside in some of Ottawa’s most at risk neighbourhoods.
This After School (STEM) Learning Club opportunity allows TechInsights to further expand upon our community-based outreach initiatives with United Way, leveraging our foundation of supporting technical innovation and the deployment of intellectual property. The program will take place at the Britannia Community House and commence in later in 2021 (originally scheduled early 2021 but moved due to COVID-19 considerations). We are currently in the pre-launch phase.
Key Program Goals
Our main objective is to facilitate a successful program that supports the social and educational development of Ottawa’s youth for years to come. We have established a $40,000 fundraising target for the year to support the club. Key program goals include:
- Support up to 45 youth within the club by providing access to homework and learning support, nutrition, social programs, etc.
- Provide one-on-one tutoring for participants
- Provide curriculum-supporting STEM material and technology
- Add experiential components allowing TechInsights employees access to see/experience the work first-hand through quarterly updates
Impact on Youth
In addition to providing a safe space for youth during after school hours, similar programs have experienced the following results:
- 76% overall grade increase among all participating youth
- For those who were tutored
- 82% of tutored youth improved their mathematics grades, 56% improved their language and 53% improved their science grades